Aris Allen Black and Ivory 1940s Velvet and Mesh Mary Jane Swing Dance Shoe - *Limited Sizes*
- These are an exact copy of a 1940s Mid-Heel Swing-Era Mary Jane and have a suede-bottom sole.
- This style is a vintage reproduction and features a gorgeous deco strap with 2 cutouts that you can adjust to control the fit at your instep.
- Made with flexible suede-bottom soles and heels and a soft foam footbed which is perfect for dancers of all skill levels.
- A well-known tap performer and instructor has proclaimed these “perfect for tap” because the heel is lower than normal and because its placement is “directly under the heel”.
- Aris Allen is known for making vintage style swing dance shoes and reproduction models that are more authentic equipment for dancing swing than ordinary ballroom shoes are. Their philosophy being that your dancing will look more authentic if you wear the same style of shoes the inventors of the dance were wearing.
- Please check the sizing recommendations before placing your order.
- Item #: 2090-BW
- The heel is about 2 3/4” high and has a synthetic bottom that won't slow you down when it touches the floor during a spin.
- The adjustable “set-it-and-forget-it” buckle on the ankle strap allows you to set your desired fit and slip the strap in and out of the “J” hook closure without needing to readjust it every time you wear the shoes. The buckle is attached with a piece of elastic so it has a little “give” when you're up on your toes.
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
We've found - by trying these on countless dancers - that these fit pretty much true to size. Because of their roomy construction, if you sometimes need to wear a smaller size then you may need a half size smaller than your usual size, but our test subjects did not need a size larger than their usual size.
- Because they are Mary Janes and have a strap across the middle, women with Average and Wide feet were happy with the fit.
- Some women with very Narrow feet found them to be too wide.
ABOUT SUEDE SOLES:
- These are made with Suede Soles which are wonderful to dance on but require occasional upkeep (it's usually a problem with catching the edge on a piece of hardwood that is sticking up on the dance floor).
- If you need to re-glue the suede many people just use crazy glue gel. We have also found that commercially produced shoe repair glue (available from the shoe repair shop in your local mall) works great.
- You're not supposed to wear suede soles outside - but every swing dancer knows that you can make suede soles faster by wearing them everywhere to get them dirty, then dance in them until they're shiny on the bottom.
- If you prefer them less zippy you can dull the “mirror finish” they can get by roughing them up with a wire brush periodically. Just remember that when they get wet in the rain they won't spin very easily (conversely - if they're too slippery just spill your drink on the floor and step in it!).