Aris Allen Black and Grey Snub Toe Mary Jane Captoes *CLOSEOUT* - Limited Sizes
- On Closeout - which means you'll absolutely find small imperfections and/or cosmetic defects with these. Glue marks, pencil marks, etc. These are the ones we inspected and said "we can't ship this one - it has a mark on it!" Hence the price.
- These are women's feather-light Round Toe Mary Janes with a Perforated Captoe and a very low heel and suede-bottom sole made for swing dancing.
- Mary Janes are great dance shoes as they have a strap that allows you to control the fit at your instep.
- The upper has perforations around the captoe and heel cup - dressy enough to wear when you're going formal.
- NOTE: These are absolutely minimalist (on purpose). Entirely handmade - they weigh almost nothing. Our test dancers have been wearing these for over 6 months and report that they are like slippers and should be treated as such. Wear them only for dancing. They will be your favorites - but the sole is so light and flexible they should not be worn on the street. We tried to make these like a second skin… and succeeded!
- Made with flexible suede-bottom soles and a soft foam footbed which is perfect for dancers of all skill levels. The design of these - with the low heel and strap - gives you incredible agility on the dance floor.
- Aris Allen is known for making vintage style swing dance shoes and reproduction models that are more authentic equipment for dancing swing than ordinary ballroom shoes are. Their philosophy being that your dancing will look more authentic if you wear the same style of shoes the inventors of the dance were wearing. And if you can't do that then you'd better be in something comfortable because swing dancing is like running track :)
- Please check the sizing recommendations before placing your order.
- Item #: 430-BG
- The heel is almost 3/4” so it looks like an ordinary shoe, but because the shock-absorbing sole is 1/4” your heel is only a little higher than your sole - which really helps your stability.
- The foam footbed is very soft.
- When you wear these you'll feel like a cat - nimble, surefooted, ready to spring into action - but with the slide- and spin-ability that suede soles give you. They look close enough to a dress shoe to wear with skirts, but act like an athletic sneaker.
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
We've found - by trying these on countless dancers - it is best to wear your usual size for a good fit.
- If you're in between two sizes, you may want to go with the larger of the two sizes you usually wear.
- Women with average or wide feet were very happy with the fit.
ABOUT SUEDE SOLES:
- These are made with suede soles which are wonderful to dance on but require occasional upkeep (it's usually a problem with catching the edge on a piece of hardwood that is sticking up on the dance floor).
- If you need to re-glue the suede many people just use crazy glue gel. We have also found that commercially produced shoe repair glue (available from the shoe repair shop in your local mall) works great.
- NOTE: Usually we say that suede soles for swing dancers are meant to be worn outside so they get dirty and wet so you can dance faster when they dry to a mirror-like finish. But these are so light that they are almost like slippers - you'll only want to wear them on the dance floor.
- If you prefer them less zippy you can dull the “mirror finish” they can get by roughing them up with a wire brush periodically.