Aris Allen Men's 1941 EEE Wide Black Captoe Swing Dance Shoes
- Handmade EEE Swing Era dress shoes in the style of men's captoes from the 1941 Montgomery Wards Catalog.
- We have Triple-E dancer on staff and he designed this to be his dream shoe. He said most wide footwear is ugly and uncomfortable and for some reason are always too wide in the ankle. So he designed a shoe with a slightly pointed toe, roomy vamp, slightly snugger-than-normal ankle, and a longer tongue.
- These are made for wearing outside - but please don't dance in parking lots and expect them to last forever.
- Features the Aris Allen Raw Sole: a flexible leather sole and heel made especially to provide you with the action you want on the dance floor. Ask any dance instructor: the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
- See sizing recommendations below. These are fitting EEE dancers true to size but you may wish to go up a half size if you have orthotics.
- The uppers are a gorgeous, pliable leather.
- Heel height is approximately 1".
- Item #: 476W-BK
Fits Very Wide
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
Test dancers with narrow feet are not at all happy with these.
Test dancers with medium width feet are not happy with these.
Test dancers with wide feet should find that these are true EEE and fit beautifully and comfortably.
This captoe is made in the Blucher style, meaning that unlike most dress shoes they are constructed to open and close across the foot with laces (rather than being stitched down at the base of the laces) to allow you to adjust the fit to your liking. Check out Swing Shoes 101 for more about this.
ABOUT THE ARIS ALLEN RAW SOLE:
- The Aris Allen Raw Sole is made from flexible hard leather that gets “faster” over time by repeatedly absorbing the natural humidity in the air (especially at a dance) and drying. The bottom of the sole and heel is made from sanded hard leather and after a few hours of wear they become “raw” on the bottom and perform a lot like Chrome Leather (suede) which allows you to spin and slide, and still control the floor. If you find the sole has picked up dirt from the floor and is slowing down, just shuffle your feet on the sidewalk once or twice to refresh it.
- The raw leather surface is designed for the intermediate / advanced dancer - but they're also great as a second pair for beginners... the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
HOW THESE SHOES ARE CONSTRUCTED:
They are absolutely 100% handmade. The cutting of the leather is done by hand - not stamped out, the glue is put on with a brush, not a machine, and the sewing, while done with a sewing machine, is done one at a time. You can even see the occasional pencil mark! This means that the shoe on your foot is the product of a craftsman who sees the shoe from start to finish. This also explains why you will find the occasional imperfection. They are made one at a time.