Aris Allen Women's Black Classic Tomboy Dance Sneaker - *Limited Sizes*
- This style is a take on the classic sports shoe shown in the vintage 1936 ad detail at right.
- The uppers are made from cotton canvas.
- Extremely flexible suede-bottom sole - absolutely flat (you can easily feel the floor) - these are perfect for dancers of all skill levels.
- This is a very lightweight, minimalist shoe with thin, breathable uppers and a squishy footbed.
- Aris Allen is known for making vintage style swing dance shoes and reproduction models that are more authentic equipment for dancing swing than ordinary ballroom shoes are. Their philosophy being that your dancing will look more authentic if you wear the same style of shoes the inventors of the dance were wearing. And if you can't do that then you'd better be in something comfortable because swing dancing is like running track :)
- This style was mislabeled by the factory. The shoes are marked about 1.5 sizes off. See chart below.
- Please check the sizing recommendations before placing your order.
- Item #: 8012-BK
- Now you can dance in sneakers without worrying about the knee-injuring potential of spinning on rubber soled shoes.
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
These are awesome shoes if you're looking for cat-like agility on the dance floor. After field testing these on dancers of many sizes we found that most went with 1.5 sizes smaller than their usual size (the factory made a labeling mistake...on all of the Tomboy shoes!). Because this style has a shoelace closure - you can customize the width by loosening or tightening them.
Most women know which two sizes they fit best (like: "6.5 to 7 but usually 7" or "8.5 to 9 but usually 8.5"). To figure out which size you'll fit in these:
- Narrow width = you'll probably wear the smaller of the two sizes you usually fit. If you usually wear an 8 or 8.5, you'll wear a 6.5 in this style (see chart below).
- Average width = you'll probably wear the larger of the two sizes you usually fit. If you usually wear an 8 or 8.5, you'll wear a 7 in this style (see chart below).
- Wide width = you probably will not be happy with this style.
|Normal Sizing||Sizing In This Style|
Use of insoles, orthotics and/or the width of your foot will change the above information slightly.
ABOUT SUEDE SOLES:
- These are made with suede soles which are wonderful to dance on but require occasional upkeep (it's usually a problem with catching the edge on a piece of hardwood that is sticking up on the dance floor).
- If you need to re-glue the suede many people just use crazy glue gel. We have also found that commercially produced shoe repair glue (available from the shoe repair shop in your local mall) works great.
- You're not supposed to wear suede soles outside - but every swing dancer knows that you can make suede soles faster by wearing them everywhere to get them dirty, then dance in them until they're shiny on the bottom.
- If you prefer them less zippy you can dull the “mirror finish” they can get by roughing them up with a wire brush periodically. Just remember that when they are wet from walking in the rain they won't spin as easily (conversely - if they're too slippery just spill your drink on the floor and step in it!).