Aris Allen Men's Captoe Tango Dance Shoe
- This is a handmade reproduction of a classic Argentine Tango Shoe.
- Like Lindy Hop, Argentine Tango is historically what's known as a street dance and requires a sturdier shoe than ordinary ballroom shoes.
- Features a flexible raw leather sole and a stacked leather heel with a rubber layer on the bottom just like the original this was copied from.
- The footbed is lined with foam so it's much more comfortable and supportive than most ordinary dance shoes.
- Aris Allen is known for making reproduction models that are more authentic equipment for dancing vintage street dances than ordinary ballroom shoes are. Their philosophy being that your dancing will look more authentic if you wear the same style of shoes the inventors of the dance were wearing.
- Heel height is approximately 2".
- Please check the sizing recommendations before placing your order.
- Item #: 149-BK
These are great dance shoes because of the slideable sole and heel, and the comfort you need in a shoe that's going to be on the hardwood all night.
We find that these run true to size. So order your usual men's dress shoe size.
Because it is constructed in the “Balmoral” style (which means it is sewn across at the bottom of the laces) this style works well with narrow and average widths and does not work well with wide widths.
ABOUT THE ARIS ALLEN RAW SOLE:
- The Aris Allen Raw Sole is made from flexible hard leather that gets “faster” over time by repeatedly absorbing the natural humidity in the air (especially at a dance) and drying. The bottom of the sole and heel is made from sanded hard leather and after a few hours of wear they become “raw” on the bottom and perform a lot like Chrome Leather (suede) which allows you to spin and slide, and still control the floor. If you find the sole has picked up dirt from the floor and is slowing down, just shuffle your feet on the sidewalk once or twice to refresh it.
- The raw leather surface is designed for the intermediate / advanced dancer - but they're also great as a second pair for beginners... the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
ABOUT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THESE SHOES:
They are absolutely 100% handmade. The cutting of the leather is done by hand - not stamped out, the glue is put on with a brush, not a machine, and the sewing, while done with a sewing machine, is done one at a time. You can even see the occasional pencil mark! This means that the shoe on your foot is the product of a craftsman who sees the shoe from start to finish. This also explains why you will find the occasional imperfection. They are made one at a time.