Aris Allen Men's 1932 White Captoe Swing Dance Shoes
- PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE RUNNING LOW ON THESE but we will get more in a few months.
- Handmade Swing Era dress shoes in the style of men's captoes from the 1932 Chicago Mail Order Catalog.
- These are made specifically for dancing on dance floors - DO NOT wear them outside.
- Features the Aris Allen Raw Sole: a flexible leather sole and heel made especially to provide you with the action you want on the dance floor. Ask any dance instructor: the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
- This is a very roomy style. See sizing recommendations below.
- The uppers are a gorgeous, pliable leather. Many of our test dancers said they were roomy enough to add inserts over the soft foam footbed.
- Heel height is approximately 1".
- Item #: 446-WH
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
Test dancers with narrow feet had to put inserts in them to get a good fit. If you are in between sizes the smaller of the two might be best for you.
Test dancers said that they fit true to size and were roomy. Add a thin insert if it's the perfect length but a bit too roomy.
Test dancers with wide feet were shocked when these fit beautifully even though they don't look wide. "Oh I'm never gonna fit in th-- wait, what? It's my size!" Not kidding. A size 9.5 EE tester fit into a size 10.
Note for larger sizes:
Our test dancer who wore a size 15 in our previous shoes found that they fit a 14 in this style.
This captoe is made in the Blucher style, meaning that unlike most dress shoes they are constructed to open and close across the foot with laces (rather than being stitched down at the base of the laces) to allow you to adjust the fit to your liking. This means they easily fit a variety of widths, from slightly narrow through slightly wide. Check out Swing Shoes 101 for more about this.
ABOUT THE ARIS ALLEN RAW SOLE:
- The Aris Allen Raw Sole is made from flexible hard leather that gets “faster” over time by repeatedly absorbing the natural humidity in the air (especially at a dance) and drying. The bottom of the sole and heel is made from sanded hard leather and after a few hours of wear they become “raw” on the bottom and perform a lot like Chrome Leather (suede) which allows you to spin and slide, and still control the floor. If you find the sole has picked up dirt from the floor and is slowing down, just shuffle your feet on the sidewalk once or twice to refresh it.
- The raw leather surface is designed for the intermediate / advanced dancer - but they're also great as a second pair for beginners... the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
HOW THESE SHOES ARE CONSTRUCTED:
They are absolutely 100% handmade. The cutting of the leather is done by hand - not stamped out, the glue is put on with a brush, not a machine, and the sewing, while done with a sewing machine, is done one at a time. You can even see the occasional pencil mark! This means that the shoe on your foot is the product of a craftsman who sees the shoe from start to finish. This also explains why you will find the occasional imperfection. They are made one at a time.